Start your electric journey with a
Pod Point home charger
At CBVC we want to make life as easy as possible for customers choosing an electric vehicle (EV) or a plug-in electric hybrid (PHEV) car.
So we’ve partnered with Pod Point, one of the UK’s leading providers of EV smart charging points, to ensure your car’s battery is kept charged up at home.
Why choose Pod Point?
Pod Point has a great track record with more than 10 years’ experience in EV charging already behind it. As well as providing its Pod Point home chargers, the company also has an extensive subscription-free public network connecting EV drivers that need EV charging on the road.
In 2020 EDF acquired a majority stake in Pod Point enabling it to offer customers one of the most competitive low-carbon electric vehicle tariffs called ‘GoElectric’. It means you can charge using cheaper off-peak electricity rates.
While all Pod Point customers get full access to its charging network, the vast majority of charging is done at home, usually overnight, so getting the right home charger is really important. It is not a requirement to be a CBVC Vehicle Management customer to have a Pod Point charger installed.
What charger is right for my home?
There are three options that can be installed in your home offering different charging speeds: a 3.6, 7 or 22kW smart charger. All of these come with a three-year warranty. These can charge your car up to 10 times faster than a domestic three-pin plug.
A Pod Point home charger comes with built-in features:
- Charge activity monitoring via the Pod Point App
- Auto Power Balancing to manage the electrical load
- Built-in earth protection
- Software updates using your home Wi-Fi
There are two charger options available; Solo Universal and Solo Tethered. The Universal Connects to all electric cars with a separate cable which is not included. The Tethered includes a fitted cable and universal connector, which is attached to the charging unit.
What about costs?
Around 90% of customers are eligible for a standard installation where the smart charger is fixed to an outside wall.
A 7kW charger is sufficient for most home applications and can be ordered as either a Solo Universal charger or a Solo Tethered charger.
The UK Government is offering a generous subsidy for home chargers called the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme. It is worth up to 75% of the installation cost.
I’m interested. What do I do next?
Just fill in the form at the bottom of the page and we’ll look after everything for you.
What happens after I fill in the form?
You will be referred to Pod Point. They have a tried and trusted process to get customers set up as quickly as possible. It goes like this:
- You first chat with a personalised advisor who will assess your needs
- They will check to see if you eligible for a Government grant
- If everything is okay, you will get a confirmation of your order
- You’ll be sent out Grant Documents and a Remote Survey questionnaire
- Once your Grant Documents and the Remote Survey have been checked and approved, your installation will be scheduled
- After a pre-installation consultation your Smart Charger will be installed
- Once installed you’ll be given a full demonstration and the opportunity to give feedback
- You’ll need to download and install the free Pod Point App on your phone (see panel on the right)
What does the app do?
The Solo Smart Charger pairs with the Pod Point App via your home Wi-Fi. It enables you to view all home charging activity from your smartphone and to understand when it’s cheapest to charge at home. You can download and export itemised charge-activity reports displaying the date, location, kW hours consumed and the cost of each charging session.